Wednesday, May 17, 2006

 

Team Mates (Part 5)

This is a story provided by one of the team members. I am reproducing it in its entirety:


12. Sheila M - White City, SK

NOT IN MY WILDEST DREAMS
AN INSPIRATIONAL STORY

It was 9 months ago, I found myself very down and unhappy with what I had let myself become. I did what I had to do to keep my family happy and healthy, but for me, I spent my free time on the couch in front of the TV watching the talk shows and eating pretty much non stop. Then one morning in May 2004 I got out of bed feeling different that day. It was about 7:30AM and as I sat sipping my coffee and listening to the radio as I do every morning, I heard CC, Marilyn & Buzz on Z99 mention something about a walking marathon. I thought to myself, I love to walk. I wondered at this time what this was all about. I immediately thought what a great way to get into shape and meet people. As I continued to listen, CC mentioned that there would be an information night that evening. The little bit I knew at that point, was enough to get me off my duff that evening and head to the meeting. Well, not only did I learn that this walkathon was a great way to give a little of myself by raising money for a cause very near and dear to my heart “The Canadian Diabetes Assoc” but it was called “The Great Bermuda Walking Marathon” which meant of course that this marathon was in Bermuda. I was hooked from that point on. The rest of the story goes like this:

I made a commitment not only to myself to be the best that I could be while I trained to prepare for this big event but also to the Canadian Diabetes Assoc. to raise a minimum of $5500.00 by October 1st. While both of these endeavors were a great deal of hard work, they were also fun and rewarding at the same time. My training was successful due to a rigorous schedule that was followed to a “T” given to us on info night. The fund raising began shortly after I got into the training program. I raised funds by sending out 150 letters to family and friends requesting their help to find a cure for diabetes. This fund raiser was important to me because my step daughter, my father, my brother, my sister-in-law, my brother-in-law, my uncle and a very dear friend of mine were all insulin dependant. There was also a garage sale, the sale of some of my antique treasures and a great Pasta Night with silent auction and door prizes. I successfully completed my fund raising three weeks ahead of schedule, which meant more time to go hard with the training, and go hard I did.

Finally Remembrance Day 2004 had arrived and it was time to board the plane to start the trip of a lifetime for me. The 15 Regina team members and 4 Saskatoon team members (one of which was my sister Terri) made up “Team Saskatchewan”. We all arrived in Toronto late afternoon where we were on our own for dinner and sightseeing. The next morning at 5 AM, 79 members from all over Canada flew into Bermuda early afternoon. After a few hrs of mingling and socializing with Team Canada teammates, we were off to a welcome reception at our beautiful "Pink Hotel” called the Fairmont. This was no ordinary hotel but a 4 ½ * hotel that was fabulous and we were continually treated like royalty. After having to be up at 3:15AM Toronto time we headed to our rooms for a good night sleep. We were only in Bermuda for a few short days so it was up early Saturday morning and off to do some sightseeing and shopping. We were having such a great time in this beautiful little city which is only 21 sq miles. That afternoon, a glorious sun filled afternoon was spent sitting poolside enjoying a fabulous lunch and sipping margaritas. It was nearing 4 PM and it was to check in with our sponsors and pick up our race #’s and T-shirts. I was very proud to wear #20, which I was assigned. It was shortly after that we were already meeting up with our new found friends from other parts of Canada to make arrangements to meet for our pre race Pasta Dinner night. No liquid refreshments allowed that evening for us athletes. Just lots of pasta, protein and water to prepare for the big day which started at 4:15 AM Sunday November 14/04 (that is 2:15 AM Regina time). Breakfast, which consisted of lots of carbs, lots of fruit and of course protein, was served at 5:45 AM. After a quick breakfast the 79 team members met in the hotel lobby for Team pictures. Then it was a jaunt out the front doors of the hotel straight done Front St in Bermuda where we met up with all other participants from other countries (150 athletes) in all to prepare for the big race. Reality had just set in at this point and I realized the day I had been looking so forward to for the past 5 months was finally here. It was about 6:55AM and I took a few deep breaths, did a few stretches to prepare for the event and said a little prayer to just finish the race healthy and with a smile. That was my only goal at this time as I had already accomplished so many personal targets along this journey.

It was now 7AM and the starting gun has just gone off. My partner whom I had trained with for the past few months were quick to get out of the starting gate. The day was sunny and the temp was about 69 degrees F. How perfect we thought!! We were certainly enjoying the beautiful Bermuda scenery at a fairly brisk power walk when at about mile 10, nearing the end of the North Shore, the wind got so brisk I had to put a mask over my face as breathing was getting very difficult. I refused to give up; I could see the end of the shore, which meant I was heading back into the city of Bermuda. Straight ahead was the ½ marathon mark, which I crossed at 3 hrs 11 min. I was looking good again and feeling better now that I was out of the wind but now the sky had turned very dark and the rain drops were getting bigger and bigger. By mile 16, the rain was so hard, I was getting wet and very cold and my shoes were full of water. By this time, I had pulled out ahead of my partner and had lost sight of her when looking back. There was no one I could see at that time. About mile 22 the rain continued in sheets and nearing the end of the North Shore for the second time round I thought I can’t do this anymore but no one came to check on me. At mile 23, I was so cold, so wet and I was having a mental break down, the crocodile tears started to flow. It was about then that I lost my momentum for about 30 seconds and that was when I slid on a stone and went over on my ankle and foot. I guess that was meant to be because then I had to talk myself into continuing on a very painful foot but at least it took my mind off how cold and wet I was. I just kept telling myself for the last 3.2 miles that my vision and my dreams were to finish this marathon healthy with a smile. It was now 12:45 PM and I could see our pink palace, which meant I was nearing the finish line. I really was going to do this. Again the tears came but they were tears of joy and happiness not pain and cold and wet. Amazing, how when I saw the hotel the pain was totally gone and I poured on the speed like the shetlon pony heading for the barn. Now my only vision was the finish line with so many people and well wishers congratulating me as I crossed the finish line in 5 hrs 55 minutes and 11 seconds. It wasn’t until a few seconds later everyone was yelling your 1st!!! You’re 1st and have broken a record. From that moment on, the celebration just went on and on. However, the pain did return about 4AM the next morning but hey whose complaining after a personal challenge not only completed but completed as an International Marathon Winner. This amazing experience has given me the encouragement to continue in life with an only positive attitude in anything I choose to do because never in my wildest dreams did I even think at 51 years old I would be the athlete and person I have become.

My motto for life “Follow My Dreams, Wild or Not” Follow My Heart”

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Links