Monday, October 09, 2006

 

Thanksgiving

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving so a nice day off work. Jill and I spent a beautiful weekend at the cottage in PEI while Stef and Chris spent the long weekend with the clan in Ottawa. Temps were around 20c the whole time. I can't recall a more beautiful Thanksgiving (weather-wise) in years.

Saturday was the day that I did my Phidippidations Worldwide Half Marathon. I got up late - around 8:30 - so had no time to be nervous. I ate my usual pre-race breakfast of porridge and a bagel, pinned my hommade race bib onto my shirt and headed out to the start line around 9 a.m. Funny, there was absolutely nobody else there. Guess that's because I was the only registered runner for PEI. I did my warmups per coach Mike's instructions and then I started out.

The route I used was one that I had trained on this summer. Down the Keppoch Road to Stewart's U-Pick, left onto the Georgetown Road and up Tea Hill. The hill is an 8% grade and about 1000m long. It is quite a grind but I was feeling strong and motivated. Once I crested the hill it there's a fairly long section of gently rolling terrain with an amazing view out over the south shore of the Island. Where the Georgetown Road and the Stratford Rd intersect I turned left and headed on a long slow downhill, past Fox Meadows golf course until I came to the intersection with the Keppoch Rd. Another left, down a hill past Pondside Park and then up a fairly good grade until the crest of the hill at Aunt Joanie Browns's (former) horse farm. From there it was a short downhill to the start/finish line and around for a second loop. I was 70 minutes for the first loop.

My instructions were to run the race as a time trial and at marathon pace, so I purposely did the first loop at a comfortable pace with the intention of speeding up a little on lap 2. The strategy seemed to be working because I felt strong and comfortable the second time up Tea Hill. From there I was having a little trouble though judging my pace and I was a bit worried that I might be pushing too hard so I slowed down a bit. The second time past Pondside Park I could feel myself dragging but I was determined not to cave in to the urge to walk. So, I kept chugging along. As I got to the crest of the hill I realized that I still had quite a bit "in the tank" so I began a short sprint to the finish.

Final time was 2:17 which worked out to a pace of 10:26/mile. I feel like I could've cut a few minutes off of that if I had a few more checkpoints along the way so I'm feeling pretty good. Marathon pace target is 10:15. Starting to feel do-able!!

The rest of Saturday I was pretty tired but none the worse for wear. Sunday was a short 30-minute recovery run and then over to our best friends', Ainslea & Dave, for a great Thanksgiving meal.

Today, Monday, was bittersweet as we closed the cottage up for another season. Can't wait to get to Keppoch for summer of 2007!!!

Comments:
Peter,

Great job. I followed your link and signed up for the Half Marathon challenge as well. It wasn't much of a challenge as I was already running in the real Okanagan International Marathon (Half Marathon Event Portion) for that weekend. I came in at a pretty simalar time to you in the end at 2:24. It was the fastest time I have done the distance in. I guess I didn't entirely listen to the advice of my trainers to treat it as a regular Sunday run. I will see how I do this weekend as it is 29 km in the morning for me!

Talk to you soon!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Links