Sunday, February 18, 2007

 

20 Miler

Yesterday's plan was to do another 20-miler. Recall that on Superbowl weekend I was supposed to have done the same but mother nature intervened and I was unable to complete it. For the past two weeks I've been obsessing about NOT getting that one done so I really needed to complete this weekend's run.

Happy to report that I did the full 20 miles with an average pace of 10:50/mile. I had hoped to be closer to 10:30 but all things considered I guess the pace was fine, I'm a little sore today but that's to be expected and as the day progresses I'm sure the kinks will get worked out.

Monday update on Saturday's run:

I decided that I would do a double loop that would allow me to come by the house partway through in case I needed to dump clothes or refill my waterbottle or in case the run was going poorly. Instead of two equal loops though I decided that I would do 7.7 miles out to make the first loop 15.4 miles and then add 5 miles by doing a 2.5 mile out/back.

I started off feeling really strong. I was running with the yaktrax on my shoes and the footing was marginal but I still felt like I was keeping a good pace. By mile 5 I was out onto a section of roadway that was clear and wide so I was able to take the yaktrax off which was nice. At that point I was right on 10:30/mile pace. I continued to the turnaround point. Just before I got there a white panel van was approaching me and appeared to be quite close to the shoulder. Just as it pulled alongside (going about 70 or 80 kph) the side door swung open. Near scared the crap out of me!!! I'm sure the occupants had a good chuckle. Suffice to say, I hurled a few choice words at them but they were long gone.

Notwithstanding the van, I reached the turnaround and was still right on 10:30 pace. The next 2-3 miles went by OK and when I glanced at my watch it seemed like I was really picking up the pace. Turns out it was because I had stopped the timer at an intersection and then forgot to restart it. DUH !! I started the watch again and noted the section of road that I had had covered with the time stopped so that I could adjust things when I got home and had to figure out my overall pace.

At mile 12 I stopped in at a convenience store and bought some Gatorade to refill the bottle in the fanny pack I carry. I usually drink the lemon-lime flavour but they didn't have it so I switched to some sort of berry flavour. Man, did it ever taste sweet. Kind of nice at first but after a while it started to taste sickly.

As miles 12 through 14 passed I could feel my pace slipping. It was a result of being fatigued, poor footing, going uphill and into a fairly stiff wind. What a dreadful combination !! Nevertheless, as I reached mile 14 I decided that I would turn back and run 2.5 miles in the opposite direction. That way, I wouldn't be tempted to stop at the end of the first 15 and would have no choice but to soldier on to complete the full 20-miles.

I chose a good stretch to do the extra 5 miles. Although the first section was uphill, the wind was at my back and gave me a nice little boost. Then a downhill section that was sheltered. I made the turn and ran back uphill, also sheltered from the wind. By the time I started the last open downhill section the wind had subsided a bit so I got to enjoy a boost from gravity.

The final mile or so was tough. I was feeling a lot of tightness in my left hamstring and my left knee. I ended up having to take a few walk breaks but at least I kept moving forward. Having completed what I estimated was the full 20 miles, I stopped the timer and decided to walk the last 2 short blocks to get home. It's always important to keep moving after a long run. Apparently it helps to get the lactic acid out of your leg muscles. All I know is that it felt great to be walking instead of running.

As I said at the outset, I was hoping to maintain a slightly better pace than 10:50/mile but I am really satisfied that I got the run done. It's a big psychological boost to know that I was able to do 20 miles in less than optimal conditions. The marathon is only 6 miles (10k) more and the weather is bound to be better (please God, let the weather be better!!!).

8 weeks till race day.

Comments:
Congrats. You are doing terrific on your runs.

I am still stuck in the 14-15 mile range. Having a bit of a problem building up or even getting out for a regular run.

Work you know...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Links