Monday, April 30, 2007

 

Virtual Friends



I am often teased about the connections I have made with people through this blog and/or the running discussion boards - Running Mania and the Running Room - that I participate in. Some of these on-line connections have ultimately resulted in meeting folks in person such as Derek (Kelowna), Angela (Edmonton), Peter (Toronto) and Dani (Oromocto). Others of these connections are unlikely to ever result in a face-to-face meeting but they are none the less what I would consider "friendships".

Through blogging I ended up in contact with a person who, like me, was running the Boston marathon. Colleen was participating as a member of the Leukemia and Lymphoma society's Team in Training program. When I mentioned to her that my dad had passed away from complications during treatment for leukemia she offered to honour his memory by placing his name on the jersey she would be wearing on race day. I suggested that she simply use his initials "JLM" but never gave it another thought.

Earlier today I checked in on her blog to read her race report. Embedded in the report were some pics, including one of her race jersey and there they were - the initials JLM.

Remember, Colleen and I have never met in person and probably never will. Yet, she still chose to honour my dad in this way. In the note that I left on her blog I said, While we may be "virtually strangers" we are certainly "virtual friends".

Comments:
Hi, Peter.
It was my honor and pleasure to wear your father's initials on my singlet! You once said that putting them on my singlet would be sure to bring me luck, and they did! It is stories like these that I call "TNT Magic" and is why I keep on running marathons for the team. The running community is small, and I'm sure our paths will cross sometime in the future!
Colleen
 
Thanks for the mention Peter. It was good to meet you in person when you were out here. I hope to someday manage to meet you again if I make it out to your coast of the country. I have never been out there, but there are so manu peope I would like to see out there including you and Danielle and Christine from Team D that I met and ran with in Honolulu. I also have some other relatives in your province I have to return the favour for all thier visit's out to Kelowna. I just have to find some way to make work pay for it... hmm... maybe I need some course out there... :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Links